Forbidden Authors
Find these and More
Friday, August 15, 2008
Erotic Romance and Offending Folks

At my last booksigning on the 13th down by the UofA, I had my table set up at The Fat Greek restaurant with my books, my bookworm bags, and my big banner announcing: Anastasia Rabiyah
Dark Fantasy & Erotic Romance
Book Signing

On a prior occasion at one of these signings, a woman took a bookworm bag without reading the posted sign that explains that there is information about erotic romance books inside, and she became offended and promptly reported to the event coordinator that I was, "Pandering erotica to the new students." She didn't think that was appropriate at all, despite the fact that the students are of legal age. The event coordinator was well aware of the contents of the bags and the nature of my books, but reminded me not to let anyone slip by without warning them--not an easy feat when a crowd lingers, hence the sign that warns IN BIG RED LETTERS that you must be 18 and that there is erotic content inside.

I am, by nature, a shy person. My erotic writing still causes me to blush when I'm out in the public eye, and I really do make the best effort to make it clear that what I write is for adults. So, last night, when a gentleman paused at my table to look over my book and said he starts his day reading the bible and prefers to read non-fiction. I nodded and said, "Oh, then you don't want to take any of these bookworm bags. They have erotic romance in them."

With a solemn face, he then said: "Do you know what the bible says about sex?"

Frightened, I said, "No, what does it say?"
"It doesn't," he replied. "It's undecided."
This surprised me a little, but I still feared the wrath of a potential erotica hater. The man smiled slyly at me and went on, "I have no problem with erotica. I have a wife. In fact, God is involved in my sexual relationship with my wife. I hear his name being screamed all the time."

I burst out laughing. He made my whole night and I was smiling until it was time to leave! It just goes to show, you never know what people are thinking or what they might say. You never know how they'll react either.

Have you ever been in a situation like that?

Image © Madartists | Dreamstime.com

Labels: , ,

posted by Anastasia Rabiyah @ 12:30 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Ana,
    Thank goodness for that man's sense of humor. Good for him and for you.

    I hope a lot of people took your bags.

    Hugs,
    Sandy

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Collette Thomas said…

    What an enlightened individual that man was, and re his wife...what a lucky wife!

    Collette

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Forbidden Publications


Check us Out
Previous Post
Archives
Contests 
  • Forbidden Publications
Contests and Winners
  • Forbidden Publications
Design  by

 Moonglade Designs

BLOGGER