Forbidden Authors
Find these and More
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Never Give Up


"Just don't give up on trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." -Ella Fitzgerald (1917-1996) American jazz singer

While writing is not necessarily a dangerous journey, it is one that must be pursued with vigor. An author who lets a muse rest too long might lose that voice, that idea and the trappings of it to ordinary things like pulling weeds and washing dishes. I have long and short muses, as I like to term them. The long ones are in it for the long haul. They'll haunt me for life and tell me story after story. The short ones show up with a duffle bag for a brief stay and a tale that burns bright before going out in a blaze of glory.

It's funny what triggers these short ones. It's strange how they manage to cut in line--a snaking, unending line--to push their way to the front and sit beside me with their tales. Short muses make me write fast. I liken them to a person on his or her deathbed with only so much time left to speak. I must pay attention; I must get it written, for when short muses get to the end, that's it. There's no going back. they turn to fairy dust and float away on the breeze from whence they came, never to be seen again.

So, I write. I write fast and today the short muse at my side is too busy telling me about her dark lover to even offer me her name. Maybe she wants to keep her anonimity for I believe this tale is about to take a turn into a darkness she regrets. Maybe she wants me to name her with some mystical title I'll seek out on the net, a name with meaning, a better name than her mother penned on the form at the hospital where she breathed in life for the first time.

I'll miss her when she's gone and I think I'll cry when this tale hits the end. Too much reality in its fantasy, too much sorrow in its ill-fated lovers. I must write and write fast lest I miss any small bit.

Authors have our own weird way of seeing our muses. They mean something to us whereas to most folks, muses are just our way of being a little weird and whacky. I think only an author can truly understand another author's thinking. And only a devoted reader can fall in love with the tales our muses share. Here's hoping the readers will love this nameless muse as much as I already do.

Find out more about me and my muses at: RabiyahBooks.com

Labels:

posted by Anastasia Rabiyah @ 1:15 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Ana,
    Your muses work a little different than mine. lol So far my short muses burn out and never get finished. My long ones won't let go of me until I finish. lol
    Sandy

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us

Forbidden Publications


Check us Out
Previous Post
Archives
Contests 
  • Forbidden Publications
Contests and Winners
  • Forbidden Publications
Design  by

 Moonglade Designs

BLOGGER